Remembering 9/11 today

Sep 11, 2009
Do you remember where you were when you heard about the 9/11 tragedy? I do like it was just yesterday. I was blissfully unaware of anything going on in the world and had just sat my little girl down to watch Sesame Street and picked up the phone to call a friend. My friend answered and was literally weeping on the phone and I thought something terrible had happened to her. Something terrible had happened but not to her but to our country. She told me to turn the channel to the news and the second I turned the channel was when the second plane hit the building. I thought I was seeing some sort of movie or something and my friend filled me in as I stood there in shock of it all. We prayed and then hung up. I sat the rest of the day and well into the next day transfixed by what was going on, as I know most of us were, and saddened by what was happening.

Steve and I visited ground zero about 9 months after it happened and realized that tv can only show you a small portion of what things look like in real life. The vastness of it all amazed me. The damage to so many others things around that area was something I wasn't prepared to see either. As we walked around the area the was a quiet hush from everyone coming to see, as if this ground was sacred or something like that. There were all kinds of flowers, notes, stuffed animals tucked in the gate around the area. It was so big.

I don't think a year will pass that many of us will go back to where we were when this happened to our country. I know that stands true for me. Today I pray for all the families that lost loved ones because of this and I pray that they will know that many of us will never forget!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...